After enjoying your winter down south, it’s time to head home! Before you do, make sure you take a few important steps to protect your home and your information as you get ready to return to Canada.
- Forward your mail. Cancel or hold your mail, magazine or paper subscriptions. Visit your local U.S. post office to learn how, or visit USPS to set it up.
- Secure your home while you’re away. Adjust your thermostat, turn off the water and unplug electrical devices. Review your insurance policy to ensure you’re covered when it’s unoccupied, and always arrange to have someone (a friend or professional house sitter) check on your home periodically.
- Arrange for your property maintenance. Don’t let the grass get too high. Make sure to arrange for a lawn service while you’re back in Canada to keep your property looking neat (and occupied).
- Update your contact information. It’s a good idea to update your contact information with your bank, landlord, utility providers and other companies. To update your contact information with RBC Bank, simply sign into Online Banking, click on Profile and Preferences then, Address and Contact information.
- Set up future U.S. bill payments. Do you have U.S. bills to pay, such as utilities, cable, homeowner association (HOA) fees or taxes while you’re back in Canada? RBC Bank Online Banking makes paying bills easy. Just schedule your U.S. bill payments in advance and you’ll never have to worry about a late payment.