Step-by-step U.S. mortgage guide
We specialize in helping Canadians purchase homes in the U.S.
We’ll help you choose the best mortgage for your personal situation, then guide you through the process. Put our decade of cross-border experience to work for you today!
The RBC Bank mortgage process
The process of buying a home in the U.S. is quite different from the one you may be used to in Canada. Our dedicated Cross-Border Mortgage Team provides expert advice and works hand-in-hand with you through every step of the process.1
When you are shopping for a home, your real estate agent or the seller may request a pre-qualification letter. Pre-qualifying helps you understand how much you are qualified to borrow and provides a clear picture of what your monthly mortgage payments may be.
Be mindful that in the U.S., it can take 60 days or more (depending on your personal situation) for loan processing after you’ve found your property and have a sales contract. Loan processing will begin once you complete the mortgage application and submit all of the requested documentation.
Here are the steps:
- Mortgage Application. Apply online or by phone at 1-866-283-5928. Then provide the sales contract for the home you wish to purchase and let us know the estimated date you wish to finalize your mortgage.
- Loan Processing. Your Cross-Border Mortgage Team will guide you through the entire process from documentation to completed application. The documents required to complete the application are based on your personal situation.
- Underwriting. We will verify your income and assets. Once the property appraisal has been received, your Cross-Border Mortgage Team will complete the underwriting process.
- Conditional Loan Approval. Your Cross-Border Mortgage Team will notify you when the underwriting decision has been made.
- Signing. Your Cross-Border Mortgage Team will coordinate the loan documents that must be signed.
Apply for your mortgage online. It’s easy!
You can apply for your mortgage online in as few as 20 minutes.
Mortgage documentation List
Your RBC Bank Cross-Border Mortgage Team will walk you through the documents needed to complete your application, which may include:
- Identification information
- Income and asset documentation
- Verification of any housing expenses for all real estate owned
- Credit history information
Note: Depending on your situation, other documentation – for example, a copy of your investment/brokerage statements if you are using those funds for your home purchase – may be requested to complete the application.
View the complete Mortgage Documentation Checklist.
1 All loans are subject to approval, including verification of acceptable income, creditworthiness, and property valuations. Minimum and maximum property values and maximum loan-to-value ratios apply. Homeowner’s insurance is required for all loans and lines, and flood insurance is required if property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area. Escrows may be required. There are closing costs associated with these products.