Skip Header Navigation

A Step-by-Step Guide to the U.S. Mortgage Process with RBC Bank

The RBC Bank Mortgage Process

Buying a home in the U.S. is different from the process in Canada. However, RBC Bank makes it easier to buy your perfect vacation home or other U.S. residence. We have a dedicated team of Cross-Border Mortgage Specialists who provide expert advice and can help you navigate through the differences.


Before you start looking for your home in the U.S., determine how much you can comfortably afford with an RBC Bank Pre–Qualification. Just provide us some basic information about your income, assets and credit. We’ll pull your credit report and provide you a Pre-Qualification letter so you can get shopping!

Mortgage Documentation List

The following types of documents are required to complete your U.S. mortgage loan application. Your RBC Bank Cross-Border Mortgage Specialist will walk through the documents that will be needed in your particular situation.

  • Personal identification such as your passport or driver’s license
  • Income Confirmation Documentation
  • Bank Statements
  • Credit Payment History Documentation

Please note, depending on your situation, other documentation (for example a copy of your investment/brokerage statements if you are using the funds for your home purchase) may be requested by your Cross-Border Mortgage Specialist to complete the application.

View the complete Mortgage Documentation Checklist

Expert Advice from RBC Bank

Your RBC Bank Cross-Border Mortgage Specialist will help you choose the ideal mortgage, then guide you through the entire process keeping you informed every step along the way. Put our decade of cross-border experience to work for you today!

Apply Today!

Please call 1-800 ROYAL 5-3 (1-800-769-2553) to speak to an RBC Bank Cross-Border Mortgage Specialist today!

All loans are subject to approval, including verification of acceptable income, creditworthiness, and property valuations. Minimum and maximum property values and maximum loan-to-value ratios apply. Homeowner’s insurance is required for all loans and lines and flood insurance is required if property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area. Escrows may be required. There are closing costs associated with these products.