Skip Header Navigation

Advice Center



What You Will Need to Manage Your Money in the U.S.

Whether you are a frequent traveler to the U.S., visiting here for a while, working or studying in the States, or relocating from Canada – you’ll want to ensure you have fast and easy access to your money.  There are options to consider to ensure that access.

A U.S. checking account:  In order to pay bills such as utility bills in the U.S., you will need to have a U.S. checking account to make payments.

A U.S. Visa Debit Card:  Unlike the Visa credit card often used in Canada, a U.S. debit card pulls funds directly from your checking account and is accepted anywhere Visa cards are accepted.

Access to Online Banking and Bill Pay:  You need access to your money when you are on the go. With Online Banking and Bill Pay, you can pay U.S. bills or make immediate transfers of funds from your Canadian account to your U.S. account. You can also view statements and your account to check balances.

eStatements:  Whether you are in the U.S. or in Canada, having access to your monthly account statements through Online Banking and Bill Pay will provide you with mobile access, wherever you may be. Plus, you’ll be doing your part for the environment, too!

U.S. Remote Deposit*:  This allows you to use your Smartphone or personal computer with scanner to create images of your U.S. dollar checks and electronically deposit them into your account.


Whether you are traveling, visiting, or staying in the U.S. longer-term, you’ll want seamless access to your money.  If you need assistance setting up a U.S. account or with any of the above-noted services, simply call 1-800 ROYAL 5-3 (1-800-769-2553).  Our bi-lingual customer service representatives are available 24/7.  Let RBC Bank help you with your cross-border banking needs today.  You’ll enjoy the peace of mind of having access to your money when you need it most.


* Subject to daily and monthly limits.